I have a confession to make. …
Last year as I was writing the LIVE THE SONG series, I got to Song of Songs 6:10-12, and I totally came up empty. I had nothing. I had no idea what it meant and how to apply it so…
I left it out. I just skipped it and figured that no one would notice. But a few months later I got this email….
I have loved every one of your posts featuring Song of Songs and have read them many times over. Sad when I got the last one. I seem to be missing 6:10-12.
I have searched your blog several times and can’t seem to locate it.
Was this published? Help!
Thanks so much.
My first reaction was – how awesome that someone was actually reading Live the Song.
My second thought was – How embarrassing – Now I have to admit that I skipped a section.
So here is my best attempt…
Song of Songs 6:10-12
10 Who is this that appears like the dawn,
fair as the moon, bright as the sun,
majestic as the stars in procession?
11 I went down to the grove of nut trees
to look at the new growth in the valley,
to see if the vines had budded
or the pomegranates were in bloom.
12 Before I realized it,
my desire set me among the royal chariots of my people.
I have to be honest…. I’m still not sure what to do with it. Sometimes when I read the Bible, I immediately know what it means. Other times, I chew on it for a while, or wrestle with it, and God gives me what I need. But sometimes, there are passages that I never understand. They are a mystery – and that’s ok. God is way beyond my comprehension and reality, and I will never understand everything about what He does or how He works.
Just because I cannot make sense of every detail of the Bible, I can make sense of part of it and I hold onto it. Don’t give up on God because you don’t understand everything about Him – ground yourself in what you do know…
- He loves you
- He is good
- He is powerful
- He is just
- He redeems us
- He is all knowing and we are not
Don’t give up on Song of Songs because parts of it are confusing. Take what speaks to you and put it into action. There are pictures of what intimacy looks like that are timeless.
- The role of husband and wife in the marriage bed should be as equals
- Stretch in using your words to express your love
- Use all 5 of your senses to experience each other
- Be creative and plan adventure
- Insecurities of body image and feeling loved are a battle for women
- Husbands adoring eyes and words build their wife’s confidence
- God blesses our marriages and our marriage bed
Don’t give up on your spouse because you do not understand everything about them. Ground your self in what you do know…
- God has made the two of you into one
- Your spouse is broken just like you are
- Your spouse cannot meet all your needs
- Your spouse needs grace and love and encouragement to be the man or woman that God created them to be
So this week – in honor of being “Busted”
- Read a passage in the Bible that you don’t understand with your spouse and ask them for insight or ideas.
- Share something with your spouse that you don’t understand about them and reaffirm your commitment and love
- Play cops and robbers in bed!!!